Saturday 4 May 2013

Exhausts Continued

Right. Passenger side all seems to fit so we painted them but haven't gone for final fit yet. I don't want the exhaust on just yet as it massively restricts access to the clutch slave and I still need to put the oil temp sensor in the sump. A bracket still needs making for the tail end of the sidepipe. I got some mini exhaust mounts off ebay for a quid each for this.


trial fit passenger side pipe for making a bracket


trail fit of headers prior to paint

The drivers side was a bit harder. Dave Brookes advised me that one of the headers might be slightly misaligned so I put them in the collector off the car to have a look.


There is a bit of misalignment but when I put it all together on the car its nothing that won't be cancelled out by the gasket and some high temp copper RTV. I'l be using copper RTV on all the slip fit joints rather than the regular hardening gasket paste.

Yet another job has become apparent though, the rear most header (cyl 8) gets in the way of my main battery cable. I made the cable over-long as I didn't know exactly where the starter motor would be. I made a loop with the spare cable to take up any movement of the engine. I think I can re-route the cable without having to shorten it as the ring terminals are pretty massive and need a special tool to crimp them.

I will also fabricate a heat shield for the starter motor before the exhaust goes on.


So, exhaust status as of this evening. Passenger side fits together and needs hole in the body adjusting ever so slightly. Bracket needed for sidepipe. Driver's side: need to move steering column up 1 inch and move starter cable + make heat shield. Need to paint drivers side collectors/header.





No comments:

Post a Comment