Wednesday 13 November 2013

Last Minute Water Pump Job

I've got some posts to catch up on (now post-IVA!) so I'll try to remember everything I did over the last week.

30/10/13

I re-fitted the water pump backing plate gasket a couple of weeks ago and re-used the old gasket and dolloped some silicone sealant on it but in the back of my mind I wasn't happy. I hadn't run the engine since but I thought I should really get a new gasket and do it properly. Thanks to Adrian at American V8 Engines I got a set of Felpro gaskets for the water pump. I drained the coolant and completely removed the pump, which required the alternator to come off too. A bit worrying to be doing the week before the IVA test but it would help me sleep a little better.

The old gasket came off and I cleaned up the mating surfaces good and proper. I put far too much sealant on last time and it had splodged inside the pump so I cleaned all that up too. Bit of hylomar blue on the gasket to help it seal and everything was back together. Whole job probably took about an hour and a half.

After running the car it still leaks very very slightly but is hardly noticeable. I think maybe I missed a bit of the old sealant when cleaning it up so thats on my list of things to do over winter.




No comments:

Post a Comment