Friday 21 December 2012

Starter Wiring

The task of wiring the engine is commenced - first job: massive battery  cable to starter. I had no idea where the starter was when I originally fitted my battery cable. I knew it was somewhere near the engine mount but before getting the engine had no real idea exactly where. One thing to note, my cable isn't the Dax one. I did buy one from Dax but it seemed quite short so I made my own cable in a generous length.

Needless to say this cable is massively too long but its a larger diameter than the Dax cable so will handle the current better. Can't remember what mm^2 it is but its pretty big, at least 50mm^2. Taking inspiration from solid brake lines from days of old I coiled the wire round in an anti-strain loop and got it on the starter.


I had the battery cable P-clips doubled up on the same holes I drilled for the brake lines but I stupidly put the cable below the brake line so I couldn't fold it out the way when I realised the engine was very close. With the massive lump of iron in the way it took absolutely ages to remove two screws and refit with the battery p-clips the other way round (towards drivers legs) to give enough clearance. I predict many jobs over the next few weeks will be hampered by the enormous lump of metal now in the middle of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment