Sunday 20 January 2013

Harnesses

This was a nice job as there's something obvious to show for it. No roll hoops on this car, the tri-leg hoops would normally have the centre leg coming down to the seat-belt tower but here the harness eye-bolts are on their own. For some reason I really, really like the way this looks. Some might think its a mess, spoiling the line of the car but I like truly functional stuff on show sticking out. And the cover plates are shiny too, just a shame I didn't put the drivers one on quite lined up properly, oh well. 

Not much to say about the job itself. I had already done the hardest part a few months ago when I realised when I boxed in the rear suspension I hadn't marked where the seat belt towers come up to the body. I had to guess where they were by eye from photos of other people's cars which amazingly both sides I was within half an inch. The cover plates hide this of course. Just had to dremel a hole large enough to get the eye bolt through.



In the lower part of the above picture you can just see the second eye bolt which takes the left hand lap strap. There is a threaded boss welded on the prop shaft hoop. Unlucky for me I had put a rivet right in front of it which had to have the head dremelled away so I could get the eye bolt in.

No comments:

Post a Comment