Monday 31 March 2014

Clonking rear end - resolved

In all the engine excitement I had forgotten that I have actually resolved one of the many issues since the car has been on the road.

The clonking rear end when coming on/off the throttle, and clunking when reversing. I thought I had narrowed it down to CV joints but while I was under the car doing something else I thought after almost 1000 miles its probably a good idea to do a general spanner check. The suspension has been adjusted a few times so I went round everything I could see to make sure it hadn't come loose.

It turns out a few things were surprisingly loose. Bellhousing bolts for one, on the passenger side. One of them was only hand tight!

Then the big one - Diff carrier mounts. Took a FULL turn of a socket. They weren't loose, they just weren't effin' tight, which I believe is the precise torque rating required. Since nipping these up there have been NO clonks whatsoever when sharply  transitioning on/off the throttle.

A recurring theme is that every fixing which has needed nipping up has had a plain nut and spring washers. I am now of the opinion that spring washers are useless for anti-shake. One job for the future is to go round and replace any plain nut/spring washer combos for nylocs (unless its somewhere toasty hot of course). Some places like the bellhousing are a bolt into a threaded hole so there I'll leave the washers in (for clearance as otherwise I'll need shorter bolts) but will apply some loctite to the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment