Sunday 2 March 2014

The Hunt for the Clonk

I've noticed (and mentioned on here previously, I'm sure) a clonk from somewhere in the drivetrain when coming sharply off the throttle and got under the car today to have a look. Initially I thought it was diff backlash, the diff is reconditioned and supplied by Dax. Following advice from the forum I jacked the car up, put it in gear to lock the prop and moved the wheels, carefully inspecting each joint in the drivetrain to see where the problem was.

Turns out there is practically no backlash in the diff at all. All the play is in the CV joints. These are off a BMW M5 and in the rolling chassis kit supplied by Dax they are not new parts. If  I had realised at the time then I would have just put new ones in, seems daft and is annoying as it's a big job to disassemble the entire back end to replace them, but at least I've identified the clonk.


No comments:

Post a Comment