Wednesday 14 May 2014

Air Fuel Gauge Installation

After much hammering the passenger side exhaust was dismantled completely so I could take the collector to have a boss welded in it.




There we go, that was easy. Friendly local engineering place just happened to be welding stainless so they had all the gas ready. Tenner and an afternoon is all it took.

I took my time to reassemble with care. High temp copper RTV on all the slip joints and a good bead on header/manifold. I scraped all the old stuff off the exhaust manifold and could see most of it was orange but some of it was black so presumably exhaust gases had been escaping from a poor seal. I took a little more time, left the gloop to partially set before reassembling. Couple of self tappers in the header/collector slip joints for security and jobs a good un. 

The drivers side is a lot more difficult to take apart because of the brake servo so for now I've just got one sensor in the passenger side. The gauge only has one lambda channel anyway but at some point in the future it will be interesting to compare the two sides.

The wiring was very straightforward, although if I'm honest it was about 10% bodge. The master loom fuse is in a box behind the dash in the centre of the car. The general fuse box for each separate circuit is on the passenger side but doesn't have any spare fuse slots and would require major surgery to add a new circuit so I just tapped off the main loom feed and fitted an inline 5A fuse. The AF gauge loom then requires a tee from the tacho feed, dash backlight feed an and earth. Pretty simple really. I cut a 3" square bit of ali and cut a 2" hole in the middle for the gauge and dangled it off one of the lower dash mounts.

It looks like an afterthought add-on (which it is) but when we make a new dashboard I will investigate making a mount where it can swing out the way when I'm not using it.



No comments:

Post a Comment