Sunday 4 May 2014

Post Painting Rebuild Part 1

Feels like we've gone back in time 2 years, dashboard off, seats out, parts all over the place, only this time trying not to scratch the paint.

The first job I decided to attack was those awful fog/reverse brackets. I've kept the same horrendous plastic lights until I see something better I like but now they are dropped below the body. All I did was take the old swan-neck bracket, chop the U-bend bit off and turn them upside down. Slightly less offensive now:


Feeling motivated, next job was the washer jet. I bought a fancy shiny one off Europa spares. The first pilot hole drilled was unfortunately off centre so I drilled another and had to cover up the original hole with a large washer. Could have gone terribly but I think I saved it:



Driver's side mirror and wind wings next:


The passenger side mirror suffered an accident when I tried to make it stop folding in at high speed. Luckily a full field of rear view is easily had with the driver's side and centre mirror which incidentally is a suction mount. It was originally intended to go on the top of the scuttle but the suction thingy only seems to work on glass.

Tunnel carpet and rear bulkhead carpet is also back in. I took the opportunity to rotate the seatbelt bolts slightly as the seat belts were being twisted and not sitting flat. Now the car is back at home I can take the time to show the changes to the door/dash edge area. The door now blends nicely into the shape of the cockpit surround and the edge of the dash is now closed off.



Job to add to the list - a nice stainless finishing ring for carpet hole around the gearstick.

Last job of the day, refit side vents.


The terrible IVA mirrors also went in the bin.









No comments:

Post a Comment