Thursday 12 June 2014

More engine tweaking parts

 New bits arrived in the post - distributor recurve kit and a variety of accelerator pump nozzles.


The recurve kit contains advance limit bushes so I can bump up my initial timing to get smoother lower rev running without going too high on my total advance. Currently I'm at about 12° initial and 34° total (22° mechanical advance). Plan A is to fit 18° limit bushings so I can run 16-17° static and 34-35° total. I know that around 17-18° static is the sweet spot for idle vacuum so we will see how that goes. EDIT - It turns out that the accel kit is rubbish. The Moroso kit is the one to get - see this post: Moroso kit fitting

The accel pump nozzles will hopefully cure the lean bog. I've got the pump adjusted for the biggest shot (volume) but the speed its delivered is restricted by the nozzle size.

Other jobs half started - I checked the float height and it was fine at 7/16" but I didn't check the float drop - should be 1".

I also haven't yet measured my fuel pump pressure.

In other news I had to fit a new fan temp controller. The old fan relay died and latched itself on, then seems to have burned out the temp controller. I've got a higher current rating relay to replace the old one. Its all mounted on the inner wing just behind the radiator so I expect excessive heat has killed it, both engine heat and heat from the higher current draw of the bigger Spal fan. Unless I want to do major rewiring the relay has to go back in roughly the same place so I will make a heatshield out of sheet ali.

No comments:

Post a Comment