Saturday 28 June 2014

Speedo Wobble!..... Fixed

Had a problem on the way to Gaydon heritage motor museum where the speedo appeared to be connected to the rev counter so I disconnected the speedo and made my way home in convoy with some lorries to make sure my speed was steady and sensible (no speedo in average speed camera zones is very tricky!)

I got home and had a play. When stationary I could rev the engine and the speedo needle would fly round. Clearly something wrong going on.

After being very worried with an oscilloscope seeing all sorts of noise on the speedo sensor wire, and on the main power wire I took the top off the distributor (not the cap, the coil cover) and noticed that where the three pin plug fits into the dizzy cap, the terminals in the cap had been pushed up so presumably they weren't all making good contact. I wiggled it all around to make sure the plug was actually in and started the car and hey presto! Speedo no longer connected to the rev counter!

Here are the offending terminals in their "pushed down and fixed" state:


Another thing I trialled was my "Neighbour Happiness Device" aka some aluminium ducting attached to the exhaust that trail outside the garage with baffles on the end. With this ingenious arrangement I can sit in the garage with the door closed and play around to my hearts content with mixtures/timing etc and have vastly reduced noise.

Pipes were attached on with copious amounts of aluminium tape as I didn't have large enough jubilee clips


Jetex silencers shoved in the end with the good old stainless scouring pads:



Lasted about 30 seconds until I gave it a bit of a rev up to 2000rpm or so before the ali ducting was literally blown apart


and one of the baffles ejected from the other end:



No comments:

Post a Comment