Sunday 29 March 2015

Gear Gaiter Surround

Finally got round to doing the gearstick surround! I bought a polished stainless round surround from Europa spares and it looked completely stupid all shiny and polished as it didn't match the rest of the car so decided to paint it. The Dax tunnel isn't flat so it took a bit of work to bend it to fit the shape, just a vice, large diameter round steel bar and I got something half decent.

For the paint, I didn't really know what to do. I knew that polished shiny stainless was daft so had a look in the cupboard to see what other options I had. I found an old rattle can of grey car body paint and gave the stainless gear trim a couple of very light coats. Amazingly, because it was polished it came out a nice grey mottled effect, rather like the leather of the gaiter itself.

Four holes drilled, rivnuts in and job done.




No comments:

Post a Comment